Swing gates are a common feature of parking lots, but the dangers they pose when left unsecured can prove fatal.
Despite this, many people remain unaware of the risks an unsecured swing gate can pose. All swing gate deaths and injuries are 100% preventable. Please forward this information to your staff and implement the following recommendations to your property and maintenance procedures:
- Gates shouldalwaysbe securely locked.
- NEVER allow gates to swing freely. They are almost impossible for drivers to see head-on and are entirely capable of impaling or dismembering passengers.
- Carefully monitor access to gate keys to ensure gates remain secure.
- Spot-check locks daily.
- Paint gates a bright color for better visibility.
- Post signs that clearly state the hours and appropriate use of the gated area.
- Remind staff to be vigilant; if they discover an unsecure gate, they should be trained to either secure it appropriately or notify maintenance personnel immediately, document the incident, and so on.
It takes a collective awareness and effort to ensure swing gate accidents never occur. If you have any questions regarding swing gates or these recommendations, please don’t hesitate to contact your broker or risk manager.